02 February 2010

Jordan L Thompson: Project I: Manifesto










“It Was A Dark Day When Mr. Pinkler Was Introduced to the Team of the Ambitious Amputees. And He Couldn’t Join Cause He Was Just a Head.” Herakut


My work tends to be social in nature. This includes the way in which we perceive ourselves—both how we sculpt our individual identities through society, and how we perceive ourselves collectively, as well as the way people interact with each other and the way in which we interact with the social constructs our collective history has created. I’ve always wanted to get people to think more, to ask them questions with no answers so that they themselves have to ask even more questions. What has drawn my attention lately is the negative space between people and the way in which it’s depicted to represent the relationships between those people—whether they be as intimate as lovers or mere strangers inhabiting the same environment.

I’m taking this course because I am very interested in contemporary artists that work between mediums. More importantly though, as an aspiring artist in this century, I want to be able to push myself out of the limitations of being only a “painter”. Not that painting by itself is in any way deficient; I simply feel that the confines of what we think of as “a painting” limit the otherwise infinite possibilities of the forms in which the messages and emotions I want to convey could take. In my recent work I have been experimenting with mixed media paintings, using materials such as foil, patterned paper, spray paint, charcoal, sculpting mediums (for example acrylic molding paste), etc, along with traditional oil and acrylic paint. This class, to me, is a way to force myself (or allow myself the time to) go further, working beyond a surface and the materials applied to that surface. Intermedia also seems to lend itself well to the subjects I’m most passionate about. I’m especially interested the idea of the social experiment as art, like causing a scene among an unsuspecting audience with the goal of making people ask themselves questions about issues that otherwise go unnoticed or are easily shrugged off.

No comments:

Post a Comment